Problogger: The Web Video Strategy For Bloggers – David Jenyns

Problogger: The Web Video Strategy For Bloggers – David Jenyns

David Jenyns is the complete entrepreneur. He is the founder of Melbourne SEO Services and Melbourne Video Productions and enjoys speaking at various events and workshops. Jenyns presented at Problogger 2014 on how to create a web video strategy for your blog. If you missed it we’ve got a round up of some of the key points covered below. Jenyns has had a lot of success in his career and he puts that down to video. Most people don’t do video, so there’s an opportunity. Web video is still in it’s infancy, so Jenyns urges the audience to get in now. He states that in 2018 they predict around three quarters of information online will be video. How Video Can Be The Core Component of Your Strategy Firstly, Jenyns notes that it’s important to build a subscriber database. The secret to this is YouTube. He freely admits that he is biased but he recommends considering video as your first approach and then you can use it to fuel your other channels. What You Will Need To Be Able To Make Your Own Video Camera (iPhone or Digital SLR) Audio (RØDE smartLav for iPhone) Tripod Lights (behind the camera person) So for under $2k you can have all that it takes to create high quality video content. Jenyns also recommended checking out the app Teleprompt. He also doesn’t recommend editing videos, other than to have an introduction with a logo in the lower third of the screen and then a call to action at the outro. You can get this done on Fiverr or even Splashio. Image courtesy of ProbloggerEvents.com YouTube Made...
Problogger: Rand Fishkin on SEO

Problogger: Rand Fishkin on SEO

According to his official bio, Rand Fishkin is the Wizard of Moz. He’s the founder and former CEO of Moz, and co-founder of Inbound.org. Fishkin is a self-confessed addict of all things content, search, and social on the web, from his multiple blogs to Twitter, Google+, Facebook, and LinkedIn. With credentials like those, he is the obvious choice when it comes to educating bloggers about SEO. Why Do I Need to Think About SEO? In spite of the rise of social media, Google has grown from 3 billion queries a day to 6 billion queries a day in the last few years. Of these 3 billion queries, 20% result in clicks on advertising., while the remaining 80% result in organic website traffic. Traffic that is ours to capture. In addition, mobile is growing fastest of all in terms of searches. Google has said that by the end of 2015 mobile search will surpass desktop search in terms of volume. But desktop is still also growing as well. When it comes to technology (and SEO is a big part of online technology), there is always a massive advantage to being an early adopter. If your blog ranks today, people will be more likely to share its content, to link to its content, to embed its embed its content. And, given that Google search results are historically biased, all of these factors contribute to an advantage for your website. So, if you invest in SEO today, then it will be easier than trying to invest in a month, a year, or in three years. Get the early adopter advantage. It’s worth...
Problogger: Attracting and Managing Online Advertisers – Lucy Feagins

Problogger: Attracting and Managing Online Advertisers – Lucy Feagins

Lucy Feagins established The Design Files in 2008. Today, it is the most popular design blog in Australia, with more than 200,000 unique visitors per month and over 1 million page impressions per month. It’s rise to fame was slow and steady; Feagin started generating income 18 months into the venture, getting smaller, local advertisers onboard. Today, she has two full-time employees, and a very steady flow of income, including major global brands as regular advertisers. Feagin admits that she is quite cautious. She maintains control over all advertising on The Design Files. She has never used an advertising network, and is never likely to. But her approach to advertising has not limited her reach; she regularly partners with Dulux, the Bank of Melbourne, and Mini. At day two of Problogger, Feagins explained exactly how she does this. How Do I Make Money From My Blog? According to Feagins, from advertising. She admits that her way is not only way, and not the quickest way. But its has clearly been lucrative for her. Feagins refuses to take on sponsored posts, explaining that she doesn’t feel right about writing them, that they don’t come from the heart. Instead, Feagins encourages bloggers to create value, when thinking about advertising. Creative people are notoriously bad at putting a value on their work. And, what advertisers consider to be valuable is completely different to what you value, or what your readers value. Advertisers always value who your audience is, the size of your audience, and the quality of your readers. Oftentimes, a small, engaged readership can be better for advertising than big, engaged audience. Not only that, your audience...
Problogger Training Event 2014: Day 2 Live Blog

Problogger Training Event 2014: Day 2 Live Blog

It was another jam packed day of interesting and insightful presentations at the second day of the the Problogger Training Event for 2014 in the sunny Surfers Paradise. If you couldn’t make it to the conference, don’t despair, the Marketing.com.au team have put together a run down of some of the key sessions from Day 2 for you: Problogger: From Ideas to Action – Matthew Michalewicz Problogger: How Bloggers Can Leverage Google+ – Rand Fishkin Problogger: Attracting and Managing Online Advertisers – Lucy Feagins Problogger: The Business of YOU – Chris Ducker...
Problogger Training Event 2014: Day 1 Live Blog

Problogger Training Event 2014: Day 1 Live Blog

The Marketing.com.au team are excited to be up on the sunny Gold Coast to attend the 5th Annual Problogger Training event. The objective of the 2 day conference is to help bloggers of all shapes and sizes build profitable, meaningful blogs. Organized by Problogger (founded by blogging whizz Darren Rowse), the conference is being held at QT Surfers Paradise. The whole Marketing.com.au team is ready and raring to soak up all the blogging brilliance! So, we thought that some of our readers out there might be wishing that they could be here with us. Sound like you? Well, guess what? We thought we’d do our best to help ease your conference envy. We are going to put together a quick round up of the key take outs by way of a live blog from the sessions we attend to help share with you what we learn. You’ll feel like you’re right here with us. The event caters for bloggers who are just starting out right through to bloggers who are already profiting, but want to reach that elusive next level. The two-day event is set to showcase a range of presentations from both international and local speakers, providing practical training that bloggers can go away and implement immediately. So let us not delay any further…Darren Rowse is on the stage… Introduction To Day One – Darren Rowse Keynote by Pat Flynn Make Your Audience Fall in Love With You – Geraldine DeRuiter What You Need to Know About SEO – Rand Fishkin The Visual Blog: Images, Insights and Infographics – Donna Moritz LUNCH TIME! Mmmmm… Build an Online Community that you Love – Nikki...
Are You a Rule Breaker? Content Marketing’s 80-20 Rule

Are You a Rule Breaker? Content Marketing’s 80-20 Rule

According to a number of social media commentators, there’s a storm (in a teacup) brewing about the 80-20 rule of content marketing. (For those of you that don’t know what content marketing is, here it is in a nutshell: it’s all about creating compelling, informative and entertaining content, tailored to meet the needs of your audience. Think blog posts, online articles and the like. What you are reading right this very minute constitutes content marketing. Also, check out our previous article What Is Content Marketing? for a quick refresher.) Derek Halpern of Social Triggers sparked the debate with this article. According to him, marketers should spend 20% of their precious time creating content and the remaining 80% distributing that content. “It’s smarter to find another 10,000 people to consume what you’ve already created as opposed to creating more. Or, in other words, create content 20% of the time. Spend the other 80% of the time promoting what you created,” Halpern contends. There is some truth to what Halpern has to say. What’s the point in spending the same amount of time creating ten blog posts – each read by 1,000 people – when you can create one blog post, and have it read by 10,000 people? That’s an extra 9,000 pairs of eyeballs. Makes sense, doesn’t it? But then, Mark Schaefer weighed in. He’s not so convinced about the whole 80-20 rule. In fact, he went so far as to call it a myth. According to Mr Schaefer, we all need to do the sums. If you compose two blog posts a week, spending perhaps six hours writing this...

Is Inbound Marketing In Your Marketing Mix?

Once upon a time, in a land before the digital age, consumers relied on traditional one way methods of marketing (outbound marketing) such as TV, Radio, Billboards for information about products and services. Then in the 90’s this little world of marketing as we new it would be turned on it’s head when the Internet was commercialised and inbound marketing was born. The Internet gave us all CONTROL! There was now a new way to seek out products and services and to do our own research before we buy something. This coupled with the rise of social media meant consumers started to pay less attention to sometimes annoying traditional outbound marketing and used their new powers to become more marketing savvy and seek out products and brands that appeal to them and then also share them with friends and family. Today, as marketers, we need to focus more attention on earning the interest of potential customers and not just relying on being able to ‘buy it’ through traditional marketing. If businesses create interesting and valuable content for readers it creates a positive connection between the consumer and the company, making them more likely to engage with you and buy your products. We’re not saying that outbound marketing is dead, it’s far from it. What we are saying is that businesses need to evaluate the marketing mix so that the best combination of inbound and outbound marketing can be achieved for your business. Here are some of the most common outbound and inbound marketing activities to help you understand the differentiation a little more. Outbound marketing includes: TV ads Radio...

Building Your Authority

With all of us suffering from information overload and everyone getting louder and louder, how do we find the best people to listen to and learn from? The answer is simple, we seek out people with authority. An authority is someone who is publicly known for being knowledgable or having expertise in their industry. Whether you’re a one man band with a blog or a part of a business, you are an expert in your industry. You may not think you are an expert relative to others in your industry, however, variety is the spice of life and we all need to start somewhere! Any contribution that you see valuable, is likely to be valuable to others. Is there something interesting you’ve done research on that you can share? Or something interesting that you’ve come across? We all know that word of mouth is a powerful thing, we are heavily influenced by the opinions of others. Be confident and share your views with your readers or customers. The more you put yourself out there and demonstrate your strengths the more likely you will be to gain respect and acknowledgement. This in turn will help attract people to your website or business to hear more of what you have to say. There are a variety of ways you can build your authority. Having a blog is one way you achieve this. With the rise in the number of blog sites popping up on the web, more and more people are sharing their views about what they feel passionate about. At the end of 2011, NM Incite (a Nielsen/McKinsey company) tracked...

Really Simple RSS

RSS stands for ‘Really Simple Syndication’ (or Rich Site Summary) and is a relatively easy and free way to communicate updates to your (or your client’s) website. Users can subscribe free to one or more ‘feeds’ which send a headline and a short summary of articles that have been recently added or updated on any given website. RSS is not a widely used (or known) term just yet, but techno savvy web developers and consumers are using RSS more and more. RSS is probably the most reliable (and quickest) online method by which to deliver content. It can improve search engine rankings, reach new audiences through syndication, is an easier and less expensive communication tool than email, enhance email marketing campaigns, generate media coverage and develop online conversations. If you are considering jumping on the RSS bandwagon, you should consider the following tips to ensure that your feed stands out from the crowd. Any marketing activity should begin with research; gaining a thorough understanding of how the chosen marketing medium works is essential. It is extremely difficult to fully understand how something works (particularly when it comes to constantly changing technology) without having actually used it. So, first of all, pick an RSS aggregator (the most popular are My Yahoo!, Bloglines and Firefox and) and subscribe to some RSS feeds. You will very quickly pick up which feeds work and why, and similarly, what should be avoided. You should always include specific key words in your RSS feed’s channel title and description. As with any website search, users generally search for RSS feeds using key words or phrases. If...